So… how can blogs be used to help students learn?

There are many reasons to use “blogs” in your classroom:

• Literacy
  • Collaboration
  • Motivation
  • Peer Feedback
  • Interactive
  • MultiMedia

Teachers will select different uses for blogs depending on how it fits in with their unit, content, aims, skills, objectives…

What opportunities and/or examples can you think of where blogging may help student learning?

18 thoughts on “So… how can blogs be used to help students learn?

1. Pingback: Staff Meeting Activity | TSC 21C Educators

2. With the amount of people using facebook and other social networks like that, I believe that we should be able to use this as a medium for all class discussions. Students are often unwilling to verbally comment in class discussions but may be more willing to comment on line where they don’t necesarily have to face the fear of speaking their thoughts in front of the classroom.

3. i think this has great value for the students to do work at home and get “tricked” into participating in the learning process!

4. Students enjoy them but at times the workload is excessive for some.
    Global Student is in under review, but has it disappeared for ever???

5. How might this work on a Maths Class? How about posting a couple of applied learning problems each week? Students to post solutions? Links to videos on how to address current concepts? Students to post questions/problems on current topic for all to solve? This might prompt good conversation? To comment on? :

6. in regards to what KOB posted, what do people think about using Facebook as the medium to use for student interaction around subject information?

7. Would be great to enable contact with other schools, esp students / sister-schools overseas.

8. Pingback: JC staff meeting activity | TC 21C Educators

9. I think there are a lot of ways that blogs can be used in class, such as those mentioned in the clips, but I also think there are a number of issues that need to be kept in mind. In terms of positives, there are a lot of ways this could be used to keep absent students up to date, they could be used as a place for classes to give feedback on a specific online article or video clip, or they could be used establish a class discussion. In terms of limitations, firstly, I don’t think blogs should be used as a replacement for classroom discussions. This can be done to compliment discussions but students need to bulid the skills to talk in environments that they are uncomfortable. I also think there may an issue with relying on blogs to distribute information because there are still students who don’t have access to the internet at home. I think there are a lot of exciting posibilities but we also need to keep the limitations in mind.

10. I think that this is a great tool for the classroom. The students are comfortable with this medium and i feel that the amount of work and the quality of the work and discussion would be better for many students in this medium. It would also allow those students who are not comfortable with public speaking the opportunity to have input.