In June 2010 West Moreton Anglican College commenced the development of its 5 year Technology and Information Services Strategy, incorporating Digital Teaching and Learning. In February 2011 they launched their Personal, Mobile Technology Learning Vision by providing 170 year 12 students and 40 teachers with an Apple iPad. This program has been supported by virtual, collaborative spaces using Edublogs, Facebook and Twitter. Additionally, the College launched its own iDevice App available on iTunes that gives students and teachers instant, secure access to information including their timetable, daily notices, assessment and excursion calendars and College events calendar. This session revisits key decisions that were required to be made in order to support this initiative, risks identified, obstacles, benefits to students and teachers and a look toward the next few years of this ongoing initiative.
Tricia O’Keefe, West Moreton Anglican College, QLD
My Notes and Thoughts:
- Visionary Leadership
- Engaging Curriculum
- Exceptional Educators
- Efficient Processes
- 21C Information Services
- Resilient Infrastructure and Superior Service
- From these 6 areas then set priority tasks.
- They trimmed back their IT Team – and used funds for new projects…..
- Device chosen – iPad
- Set up new Wireless Network – DENSITY!!!!
- 100% Server refresh – Started again from scratch…
- Deployed devices – teachers and staff and support site.
- Totally Cloud Based!!!!
- Word, powerpoint, big expensive LMSs…. $$$$, boring text…. No Thanks
- iPad Apps provide cheap interactive, contemporary, support student lifestyle…. Most students have office applications at home….
- Not all teachers got an iPad
- 16Gb Wi-Fi only.
- Specifically marketed as device… “Not a lap top” – serves different purpose….
- Every Device re-imaged every year.
- Most apps are free – about $35 of apps on each – list to be posted.
- Have set up AppChat
- Now looking at app development.
- 40 teachers now have ipads. – 3G enabled – Staff buy there own pre-paid sim card.
- WestMac – App developed – all notices, timetable, excursions, assessment… all on device… Awesome!
- Games first but slowly learnt how to use for the right things and manage.