Implementation of Australian Curriculum in Victoria – David Howes (VCAA) 13 May 2011
I took these notes at the conference I attended last week. I also took some notes on Brian Caldwell’s assessment of the Education Revolution. (Sorry about the formatting… can’t seem to remove the bugs)
1. Australian Curriculum is not truly ‘national’. More a work in progress.
2. Victorian students perform above national average in reading writing BUT not in Civics & Citizenship. Not a lot of civics taught in Victoria! 493.8 compared to 501.7…. Knowledge matters! Kids don’t know what they need to learn.
3. Australian Curriculum is not about pedagogy – it’s about the ‘what’
4. December 2010 MCEEDYA decision… Content endorsed… For what? Next stage of substantial implementation from 2013 … It’s very vague but work is still being done
5. Caveat from Coalition in Victoria is that we should not settle for a low denominator…. (Minister Dixon)
6. Victoria -learning is a developmental continuum – VELS – NSW doesn’t agree with this… DEBATE
7. Reporting – we are not going to get to national agreement
8. Syllabus – NSW
9. It won’t collapse this time because ACARA is very well established… Naplan etc.
10. Remember that vels has shaped much of what is included in the ac
11. Deep learning > google knowledge
12. Skills will still be assessed in Victoria… Thinking… Ict… Creativity
+ ethical behavior and intercultural understandings… Respect agenda now in
schools = general capabilities
13. Asia, aboriginal cultures and sustainability
14. Senior secondary can’t be accredited until states agree to relinquish control. Not likely to
be implemented until later in decade… Too many differences b/w states. Vet already national. VCe not before 2014…
VCAL could become ACAL
15. In 2013 all schools will be required to report on ac standards as part of existing reporting
16. VCAA view – year 3 should be replaced with ‘level’
17. Year 10 will remain a ‘pathway’ year.
18. Australian Curriculum can be delivered in a range of ways -not prescribed subjects/times etc.
Times included in documents are indicative
KEY-revised vels structure to reflect full Australian curriculum